The Morbitorium provide one-day taxidermy courses to give you the knowledge to start doing your own taxidermy projects. No former taxidermy experience is required and all the materials you require are provided (so please don’t bring along any presents that your cat has given you).
You will learn the processes of skinning, cleaning, mounting and finishing a mouse, rat or rabbit and these skills are transferable to pretty much any other mammal you are likely to encounter.
Our classes have been a featured article in the Wales on Sunday newspaper. Click here to read the full story.
- Small classes (maximum of 6 places) to ensure that each person gets plenty of attention and assistance when required
- Held at my home workshop in Crosskeys, South Wales (Just off the M4 (J28), and easy to get to via public transport too)
- A buffet lunch is provided and you will leave with your completed piece at the end of the day
- No animals are killed specifically for the class. Click here to find out more about our ethical policy
To become a skilled taxidermist takes years of practice, but after this class, you will have the knowledge to create your own mounts and the option to take your interest in the art of taxidermy that one stage further.
We are currently taking bookings for…
|Morbitorium||January 27, 2018 at 10:30 am – 4:00 pm||Beginners taxidermy class (Fully booked)||Confirmed place for Allis Liddle, Laura Prazsky, Verene Wolff, James Smart x 2, & SP|
|Newbridge WI||March 7, 2018 at 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm||Talk on taxidermy, death and other topics at Newbridge WI|
|Morbitorium||March 24, 2018 at 10:30 am – 4:00 pm||Beginners taxidermy class (4 places available)||Confirmed places for Alice Would, Peter Coates|
|May 19, 2018 at 10:30 am – 4:00 pm||Beginners taxidermy class (4 places available)||Amy Quin x2|
|July 14, 2018 at 10:30 am – 4:00 pm||Beginners taxidermy class (5 places available)||Confirmed places for Spencer R|
|September 22, 2018 at 10:30 am – 4:00 pm||Beginners taxidermy class (6 places available)|
|October 31, 2018||Halloween|
|November 2, 2018||Día de Muertos|
|November 24, 2018 at 10:30 am – 4:00 pm||Beginners taxidermy class (6 places available)|
|December 5, 2018||Krampusnacht|
Times and places
- Classes are run from my home workshop in Crosskeys, South Wales. The full address and Google Map are available at the bottom of this page
- Generally held on a Saturday, starting at 10.30am. Please check the class calendar above for any variations
- End times will vary depending on how many people are attending and if we hit any snags along the way. As a rule of thumb though, plan for about 4pm.
We use NO harsh or dangerous chemicals. Everyone will be provided with gloves and sanitary equipment. All animals are disease free. Although there will not be a lot of blood or gore, a strong constitution and maturity are necessary. All animals are ethically sourced – nothing was killed specifically for this class. Animals used in this class are discards from the feeder/pet food industry or naturally deceased. Please do not bring any raw dead animals with you to the class.
How many classes do I need?
Just the one. You’ll learn everything you need to get you started on your new hobby in a single class. Obviously, we’d love to have you back for further classes in the future and we’ll be in touch when we are ready to do some more advanced ones like “Make a Mutant” or “Mythical Beasts”
Are there any minimum age restrictions?
Everybody is different so no, we don’t impose any arbitrary age restrictions. I have met some very mature 13 and 14-year-olds and some incredibly childish 40+ year-olds (of which I am very proud to be one) so I leave the decision entirely up to you. Please bear the following in mind though…
- Under 18s will require a parent or guardian’s consent
- There will be some very sharp scalpels
- Blood etc is minimal but *will* be encountered
- Smelly bits are quite probable too
- Any tomfoolery or shenanigans will result in the person being removed from the class
- All class fees are non-refundable
Feedback from previous attendees
“Thank you Morbitorium for such a relaxed and informative introduction to taxidermy. I’m already thinking of ways to dress future projects Amazing company too, the group had me in hysterics! I had a truly brilliant Valentine’s Day, thank you!” – Helen
“Just want to say thanks again to Dave, Helen and Rich for a BRILLIANT evening last night. Educational and hilarious. We really really enjoyed ourselves and came away really pleased with our little meeses. It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere, the instructions were clear and there was no pressure to have to keep up with everyone. For our first go, it really was a lovely introduction into the art of taxidermy. Again, huge thanks!! I’ve no doubt we will be back for another go 🙂 – Bekah & Chris